We’re now well into December, which means it’s your last chance to make 2018 as environmentally friendly as possible. With the Christmas festivities coming up, we don’t want your sustainable actions so far to go to waste. From vast amounts of food waste and excessive packaging to draining Christmas tree lights, there’s a true cost to our festive luxuries. But it doesn’t have to be that way! We’ve put together our top tips so that you can make a difference this year.
Sustainable Christmas tips
• Make your own cards (or go electronic!), wrapping and gifts. Get creative and get upcycling!
• Recycling alert – look out for non-glossy papers without glitter or embellishment if you want them to be recycled or, better still, get creative and get reusing! Opt for brown paper and string, scraps of fabric, newspaper, magazine pages or reusable gift bags! Get some inspiration here.
• Gift experiences rather than objects and support local green businesses
• Christmas trees – did you know that real ones are more sustainable than artificial? Source your tree sustainably and recycle it so that it doesn’t end up in landfill.
• Keep your body moving, get into the fresh air and enjoy nature. Your wellbeing matters!
• Grub – go local, go veggie, ditch the packaging and use your leftovers.
• Switch off before you head off! Do a sweep of your office to make sure that all computers & monitors, lights and equipment are turned off, and windows are shut. Take a look at some more energy saving ideas for your Christmas shutdown.
• Give back to the community – donate, volunteer or give someone a helping hand this Christmas. And remember, you don’t have to go overboard. Buy less, eat less and waste less!
Have a very merry (and sustainable) Christmas and a happy New Year! If you’d like to see how we’ve helped our clients engage their people this year, then check out our case studies.